Saturday, February 20, 2010
How to create CTAGS
CTAGS is one of the most important tool for C programmers. CTAGS allows us to traverse the code easily and very fastly. A good programmer will feel his hands cuffed without the CTAGS setting. The following guidelines tells how to create CTAGS.
1. Dowload the CTAGS from the site: http://ctags.sourceforge.net/ You will get a file with the name
2. Unzip the file using the below command:
On doing the above, ctags-5.8.tar will gets created.
3. Untar the tar file:
# tar -xvf ctags-5.8.tar
4. On doing the above, a folder ctags-5.8 would have got created. And inside the folder, you would find a file named configure. Run the file:
[Note: if you get any error at this step, check at your command prompt to ensure these variables are not defiend: CC, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS]
5. On doing the above, a Makefile gets created. Now run the make file:
6. The above step would have created an exe with the name ctags in the same folder. Do cd and reach the directory where the C files are present. Now, the ctags needs to be run on all the C files in the following way.
# ctags *.c